All of us want to do our part for the environment, but how specifically do we ensure our agencies are part of the solution and not the problem?
Growing up in a small town in California, Julien Brandt was surrounded by people who passionately cared about the environment, sustainability, and making a positive impact on the people around him.
When Julien decided to become an entrepreneur, he wanted to start a company that promoted those same values he held so dear, so he started Organik SEO in 2009, a digital marketing agency that focuses on helping purpose-driven businesses succeed online.
Fast forward five years later and Organik SEO is a team of 12+ individuals who all share those same values in common and work with purpose-driven and local businesses. Specializing in local SEO and social media, they take a holistic approach to online marketing by assisting their clients with everything from content marketing and social strategy, to on-page optimization and UX.
Eventually Julien stumbled upon B Corporation and decided to begin the process of getting officially certified.
So what exactly is a B Corp? Their website explains:
B Corp is to business what Fair Trade certification is to coffee or USDA Organic certification is to milk. B Corps are certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
To be certified as a B Corp, you must attain a minimum score, ensuring that your business is focused on planet and people — not just profits. Currently it's recognized in half of the 50 US states.
While registering as a B Corp was a natural progression for Julien and the crew at Organik SEO, the process of getting certified was far from a walk in the park. It involved an intensive interview process over the course of several months, where B Corp reviewed what vendors Organik uses, their legal documentation, along with their ethics, employment and social responsibility practices.
Here are 6 ways to build a purpose-driven agency.
- Hire based on cultural fit and your company's core values
- Create a collaborative work environment and foster open communication
- Work with vendors, clients and partners that align with your vision and mission
- Take an active role in your local community and give back
- Implement a corporate wellness program and encourage work/life balance
- Hold company strategy days, team learning events and other opportunities to encourage personal and professional growth
These are just a few of the ways an agency can encompass a triple bottom line mentality with equal focus on people, planet and profit. If you have other ideas, we'd love to hear them!
I want to hear from you
- What do you think? Have I missed any ways to go green? Leave a comment below, and also let me know any topic ideas you have for future episodes.
- Don't forget to subscribe to the podcast email list to get updates on new episodes
- Subscribe via iTunes. It would really help us if you can rate us on the iTunes store!
- If you're an agency owner with a lesson to share please get in touch with me and ask to be on the show.
Top 3 posts of the week
- Still Haven't A/B Tested Font-Size on your Website? You Could Score 32% More Clicks!
- How to Set Clear Terms That Will Get You Paid
- The Good and the Bad of Being an Entrepreneur
About the show
The Proposify Biz Chat is hosted by Kyle Racki, co-founder and CEO of Proposify proposal software. Each week, Kyle chats with friends and special guests about tips and strategies to help entrepreneurs, startups, and agencies grow profitable businesses.